Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Easy Artisan Bread 5 mins a day


So it's been awhile! We've been so busy with our families and new babies, and just focusing a little more on our role as mothers! We'll let you know when we decide to open the shop back up. (There are still some goodies in the shop that we have available!)

While I've been busy adjusting to staying home with two kids, I've had this desire to lead a more simple life. It might sound like a totally antiquated way to look at things, but I would love to have less stuff, and make more things from scratch for the sake of our health and frugality!


My hugest inspiration has come from Tsh Oxenreider's books "Organized Simplicity" and "One Bite at a Time." I've been purging our house over the past several months and incorporating a lot of her budgeting, scheduling, and organizational advice into our lives. I've enjoyed trying new things, especially when we love the outcome and they make our lives better! I hope to share what I've been up to in upcoming posts!

I just have this picture in my mind of being able to make bread for my family everyday. I guess that sounds like the ultimate stay at home mom practice. But I hate to bake bread because of the the time it takes and all the steps, and I would never get up early to make it!  I had kindof given up my dream of daily bread baking as unrealistic for today's mom (especially since I don't like the process of making bread anyway!) But while reading blogs a couple weeks ago, I followed a bunch of links that lead me to a blog that share a bread recipe that claimed to only take 5 minutes a day! SO, I tried it out and I'm thrilled to say I've made bread almost everyday since... And I don't plan on stopping...

Get a load of this...

...Only 4 ingredients (You probably already have them!)
...mix the ingredients, let is rise and stick it in the fridge for when you're ready to bake!
... it can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks!
...It's DEE-licious!


So this is the picture off of the blog because I haven't taken my own. But this is exactly how my bread looks too!

The recipe makes four 1 lb loaves, so I probably make bread about twice a week. It seriously takes 5 minutes to mix the ingredients, then when you want bread, you just go to fridge and cut the dough you need! SO easy!

Now let me tell you how amazing this bread tastes! It smells soooo great while its baking, and the cuts you make on the top of the dough before it bakes makes the final product look like you're a real professional baker! :) It's a crusty bread: chewy crust, and super soft inside! The one word I used to describe it the first time I ate it was "Rustic." Because of the very basic ingredients and the fact that we were tearing pieces off, it felt like something you'd eat in Europe! :) Tim said he's only tasted bread like this when he is overseas! Just a simple, rustic bread and very tasty!!

I read another blogger who said she uses it for pizza crust, so I plan to try that, and I'd also like to experiment with a 2 lb loaf since the 1 lb loaf is a little small. I went to GFS to buy a bigger container (like what's pictured on her recipe) because I didn't have one big enough that would allow for all the rising.

So, you really really reeeeeally need to try this bread! Let me know if you do and what you think!!

What other things do you  make from scratch?? Enlighten me with your tips and recipes!

0 comments: