Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bias Tape Napkin Rings {a tutorial}

I'm so excited I was able to fly out to PA and attend my future sister-in-law, Mckenzy's bridal shower this weekend! My big, little brother finally proposed to his girlfriend of two years this past spring. She is so sweet and adorable, and we're all so excited to make her a permanent part of our family! The wedding is in September and her shower is this weekend, so I've been busy planning what homemade goodies I'm going to make for her (and my brother too, I guess). :)

I used a couple tutorials to come up with these beautiful gifts using Michael Miller's Posh Paisley in Yellow: 4 cloth napkins, an oven mitt, and two pot holders. (The pot holders are presently at home in MI sitting unfinished in my craft studio. I waited till the last minute to finish them, and ended up not being able to because of my need for a walking foot for my machine- so those will be given at the wedding!)
cloth napkin with bias tape napkin ring





I learned alot of new sewing techniques with these projects. The first was learning more how to use my serger, sewing a rolled hem on all the napkin edges! Next, was my first experience with quilting on the pot holders and oven mitt. I loved how it turned out, and I really enjoyed it. But I really need to get a walking foot now. Thanks, Laura, for your patience with all my questions and frustrations!

After I made the napkins, I was really wishing that I had some cute napkin rings to go with them. With it being the weekend before our vacation (when they needed to be done by), and living in a small town without a vehicle, I had to use what I could find on hand, or not have napkin rings at all! What I ended up using was some matching double fold bias tape I had for the pot holders. It was so easy and I loved how they turned out! Here's a tutorial for how you can make them too!

Bias Tape Napkin Rings Tutorial



4 6" strips of double wide bias tape
fusible interfacing
matching thread
poms poms, rosettes, or another desired topper

Cut 4 thin peices of interfacing to fit inside each bias tape strip, and fuse them together.


Pin the edges of each peices together and edge stitch. For a uniform look, also edge stitch along the folded edge. (looking at my pictures, I just realized I didn't do this step! oops!)



Next, fold the ends of the strip together and overlap about 1" to form a loop. Pin and stitch in place. I sewed on two spots. Before you sew, you might want to be sure that the napkin ring will be right size for your napkins. While the bias tape strip is pinned in the loop, slide it over your desired napkin to be sure it is the size you want it!

Now, you're done with the basic part of your napkin ring. You can top it with whatever decorative item you would like! I made pom poms out of brown fabric that I had laying around. (Remember the Pom Pom Bib Necklaces we showed you for the Naptime Craft-Along? Visit that post here!)
Okay! Here's a basic tutorial for a pom pom. If you'd like a more detailed version, visit this post, because I don't have a whole lot of pictures.

How to make a Pom Pom
fabric
scissors
felt
glue gun


First, cut lots of circles out of your fabric. Also cut two circles out of the felt. (I use a template that is a 1 1/2 in circle.)

To make a pom pom, take one fabric circle and pinch it so the center is pointed out.

Put a dab of hot glue on the end and put it on the center of one of your felt circles. Repeat gluing the circles around the center circle peice, until the flower looks full.

It should look similar to this!


To attach the pom pom to your napkin ring, trim the excess felt and hot glue it at the part where you sewed the loop closed.

Take your second piece of felt and hot glue it to the bias tape and the felt underneath. I glued right on the bias tape and then on either side on the felt. Make sure it's good and secured.

Trim excess felt and you're DONE! :)

See, so easy and quick!

Slip them on your napkins, and they should look as gorgeous as this!!! I can't wait to give them to McKenzy! I know she'll love them! I'll definately be taking pictures, so maybe I'll have to share them with you soon!





I'd love it if you'd leave some feedback and let me know what you think of these- especially if you make some yourself!











1 comments:

McKenzy Winkler said... [Reply]

I just love my homemade napkins and oven mitt! I am so thankful to have such a thoughtful (and crafty) future sister in law. I love you so much!