Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Handmade Christmas

I know Christmas was a week and a half ago, but we just celebrated Christmas with my husband's side of the family on New Years day.  I have anxiously been waiting to share with you what I created for everyone for Christmas. I couldn't post before the parties, since I know some of our family members read this blog.  Marybeth and I both committed to making handmade gifts for our family and friends this year.  A year ago, I would have chuckled at the suggestion of "making" gifts for everyone.  I wouldn't have had the foggiest idea of what to make anyone.  But the craft/sewing blogging community has so graciously shared their tips and tricks and instructions on how to make the coolest things.  I have a whole Favorites folder full things to make.   So here are my handmade Christmas gifts.

Most of the men on my list received this Hot/Cold Rice Bag.
This particular one was for my brother in law.  He's a sports fan!  The other men received a camouflage/fleece rice bag, since they're into hunting.  I found the tutorial for this amazing gift at Make It and Love It.
I'm thinking I need one of these for my shoulders, while I'm sewing. 

I made these rolled rosette napkin rings and napkins for sister in law.  
Their house has this charming, almost victorian feel to it.  They're refinishing a table that will add to that decor.  So when I saw this fabric, I knew it would be the perfect napkins for her new dining room. Did I mention that she LOVES blue.   I cut the napkins into 16" squares and used my serger to finish the edges with a beautiful rolled hem.  I found a great tutorial for the rolled rosettes on Little Birdie Secrets.

My other sister in law and sister both received this iPod Touch case.
I found a great tutorial for these here.  I may or may not have made one for myself too.  Wink wink.

I had alot of fun making the gift for my youngest sister in law, who is 4 years old.  

I made her a dolly diaper bag with a few cloth diapers and cloth wipes inside.

I found a great tute for the diapers, with a pattern here.  The wipes and wipes case here.  The diaper bag is my own design.  I used the super cute fabric from our "Let's Go to the Zoo" pillowcase dress.

I made my nephew a car caddy from the ever popular Homemade by Jill.  I love her 'boy' ideas.

This photo is actually of the one I made for my son this past summer.  He absolutely LOVES his car caddy.  It has been a lifesaver waiting at the doctors office or in a restaurant.  I try to keep it in the diaper bag, but he often pulls it out to play with it at home too.
I used a combination of Jill's tutorial and this tutorial here, for the inspiration for the inside of Cameron's car caddy.
He loves filling up the cars with gas at the gas station and driving them through the car wash.

Then I decided to make my mother in law this hot pad and oven mitt.
It was TONS of fun making these.  Although my husband may say her heard different, since I did do a lot of muttering under my breath while putting these together.  It was my first experience using batting, doing some quilting with my walking foot (which is amazing by the way), and using bias tape in this fashion.  I can't wait to make my self a set now.   The oven mitt tutorial was at Skip to My Lou and the hot pad was at Prudent Baby with a cute new variation just posted here today.  Can't wait to try that one.

Overall, I had a blast making Christmas gifts for everyone.  I hope some of these ideas and links to the great blogs help inspire you to create handmade gifts for birthdays, appreciation gifts, or maybe even Christmas next year. 








1 comments:

Carly said... [Reply]

We [Kaiden and I] LOVE our homemade gifts! Thank you :). Very creative, personalized, and creative! <3