Friday, October 15, 2010

Time to Eat: Pizza English Muffins

I'm certainly not the greatest cook. In fact, I rather dislike cooking most of the time.  I'm not even a huge fan of baking.  But something about the fall weather brings out the Martha Stewart in me.  Haha!  Every year, around this time, I get in the cooking/baking mood.  My husband puts the grill away for the season, and I start digging through all my recipe books looking for long lost recipes.  I think something about being indoors more, watching the trees change color, the cooler days and nights, gives me that desire to nest a bit.  I crave the hearty soups, warm biscuits, and yummy tastes of fall.   As Christmas nears, that brings a whole new avenue of cooking/baking.

Even though, I certainly enjoy being in my kitchen more at this time of year, I still have a very defined style of cooking.  I steer away from recipes that have more than 6 or 7 ingredients.  If I can't pronounce the name of  a food, I quickly turn the page.  I like quick, simple, uncomplicated cooking for the most part.  
Now, I hear that MaryBeth and her husband are quite the adventurous cooks!  And that they are pretty good at it too.  So I hope she'll be sharing some of her tasty recipes here too.  From me, you'll see my favorite "stand by meals", and lots of kid friendly meals too.  Which brings us too....

I have a picky eater.  My  2 1/2  year old,  would eat peanut butter and jelly everyday, for every meal if I let him.  I am searching for something healthy, but good enough for Cameron's standards, errr...taste buds.  I have invested in quite a few children's recipe books.  Today, my Pizza English Muffins (aka. Mini Pizzas) is a combination from my friend Karrie and Taste of Home's Cooking for Kids

Photo credit
The ingredients for this recipe are :
Whole Wheat English Muffins.  My friend Karrie uses biscuit dough from a can (ie. Pillsbury) I didn't have any on hand the day I made this so we went with English muffins.
Pizza sauce of your choice
Mozzarella cheese
Pizza toppings of your choice


Open up the English muffins and lay them open side up on a baking sheet.
If you are using the dough biscuits, lay them on the baking sheet and press them flat with the palm of your hand.
Then using a spoon, spread the sauce over the pizza.


Next is Cameron's favorite part to help with.  Putting the cheese on top.  This is such an easy way for kids to help with cooking and get involved in the kitchen.  Cameron loves to be in the kitchen stirring, or dumping or whatever else you can do to help!  And I believe that, picky eaters especially, are more willing to eat what they helped make.


Aunt Stacy joined us for lunch today too.  You are welcome to add whatever you want to the top off the pizzas at this point.  Cameron likes his plain, but I added pepperoni to Stacy's and I's.  Then pop them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.  


Cameron loved his!


And so did Elissa!


If you try out this recipe,  let us know how it turned out and if your kids enjoyed it!
~Laura

0 comments: